Free Speech - No Compromises
Thursday, 17 September 2009 00:00
The government wants to control the media while regulators and the courts inhibit the expression of opinions. But freedom of speech is one of our most fundamental rights and central to a free, democratic society.
The importance of free speech is not diminished by the fact that some speech is wrong, mean or causes offence to someone. The best response to bad ideas is to put them under the scrutiny that can only exist in a free and open battle of ideas. Truth has nothing to fear from free speech, and neither does Australia.
The Liberal Democratic Party unequivocally supports free speech and is opposed to government censorship of books, videos, games and the internet. We:
• Support repeal of S18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, and oppose any similar legislation
• Oppose internet filtering or censorship unless undertaken voluntarily (eg by parents)
• Oppose the establishment of any government overseer of the media
• Believe no film, book or game should ever be banned outright except where its making involved the commission of a crime, such as abuse of children
• Support legalising the sale of X-rated pornography
• Support the introduction of an R-rating and X-rating for video games, thus legalising games that have previously been banned
• Support a review of current film and game classification criteria, taking a rational rather than morality driven approach to classification.
LDP submission to Inquiry into racial vilification law in NSW 2013